Tuesday, December 09, 2014

COMMISSION# 16

Hi there! For this particular commission, I had to make three birthday cards. Come take a look.

HPJ-2014-69: Sixty

The first card is for the customer's (a former colleague) mom's sixtieth birthday. She wanted something really special. It is a milestone birthday so I understand what she needed. It has to be something other than the ordinary top fold or side fold card that could be seen in bookstores. When my mom turned 60 two years ago, I had wanted to do something awesome (like maybe make 60 ATCs that have something to do with her), but I didn't have that much time so I ended up just making her four cards.

I was informed that her mom likes shoes and bags and I automatically thought of the Graphic 45 paper pad I had from the Couture Collection. I remember seeing a sheet of various shoes and from that I built up the layout and design.


As you may recall, my previous projects involved a popup book card and a frame card. What I did on this particular card was a mash up of the two folding techniques. The front was a recessed frame while the inside was a popup. There had to be extra sheets for the messages (from what I know of my friend, she writes long messages and of course she still has her siblings to write theirs) so I added a pocket at the back that will hold the cardstock.




I love how the front turned out. I fussy cut an image of a lady from the Couture sheet as well as a bunch of roses. I adhered them onto the frame with foam tape. At the center, I placed one of the cards with a shoe on it from the paper collection and added the metallic number 60. I scattered several crystals and affixed a wooden embellishment and a couple of paper flowers. I took some stamens and added them to the frame.




I made the inside simple with only the patterned papers, fussy cut image and self-adhesive crystals. The left panel has a small pocket where they can slip a photo of their mom or a small note. The right panel has a small card which is held by a fussy cut image. They could remove this card and write on it.

I also made a matching box for the card. I didn't adhere the glue tabs since I had to ship them. That is why the white adhesive tape is showing in the photo. I put a length of lace trimming to secure the box together.




MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: Bevania Splendorgel Ivory Board Paper 270gsm and 170 gsm, Rives Tradition Black Board Paper, Graphic 45 Couture Collection 8x8 paper pad Couture, Fashion, Lovely, Chic, Classy, Fabulous and Elegant , Graphic 45 Typography Collection 8x8 paper pad Inscribe andTypography, die cuts, paper flowers, Eno Greeting wooden embellishment, buckle, lace trimming, stamens, crystals, metal flower, Beauty Premium Pigment Ink Black, Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black, Kaisercraft Clear Stamps Botanical Odyssey and Madame Boutique, Bo Bunny Clear Stamps You're Invited, Spellbinders Nestabilities Adorning Labels Twenty-Five, Cuttlebug Machine V2

HPJ-2014-70: Eighteen

The second card is for her boyfriend's sister. She likes accessories. I still used the Couture papers for this, but I went with blue, green and black for the color palette.

It should be another special card so I used tri shutter for the base. I adjusted the size. It is taller than what I usually make (at 6 3/4").


A tri shutter card has so many panels which means that there are several elements that could be employed to decorate them. For me, more than four designs of patterned paper are needed for the background. Most of the time, it takes longer for me to figure out which papers to use and how they should be arranged before I could actually proceed with the embellishments. The background should be decided first and it should be perfect.


What I love with tri shutter cards is that I could do so many different things on the panels. I could make it a mixed media card incorporating inks, stencils, stamps, molding paste and what not into the panels and making everything coherent to the theme.



The focal point of the front of the card is the image I attached onto a patterned paper and a die cut which was then framed by a wooden embellishment. To accentuate, I added blue crystals onto the frame. It looks simple, but in actuality I had to use more than four techniques to achieve this.


The card was for an eighteenth birthday so I added elements related to it like the sentiment 'Celebrate', the number '18', the die cut 'Moments In Time' and the sticker 'Today Is Extraordinary'.




As for the center of the card, I decided it was to be the space for the message. Again, there should be enough space to write on. I made an accordion 'note' that could fit into the panel and affixed a length of organza ribbon to secure it.

MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: Bevania Splendorgel White Board Paper, Rives Tradition Black Board Paper, Elit Cream Board Paper, Graphic 45 Couture Collection 8x8 paper pad Gorgeous, Beautiful, Classy, Accessorize, Elegant and Stunning, Graphic 45 Typography Collection 8x8 paper pad Typography , My Mind's Eye Lost & Found Two Blush and Breeze, Kaisercraft Pickled Pear Collection Sticker Sheet, epoxy stickers, clear sticker, button, self-adhesive crystals, Eno Greeting wooden embellishment, Eno Greeting Die Cut sticker, organza ribbon, Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black, Artline Drawing Line 0.4 Black, Golden Molding Paste, Kaisercraft Clear Stamps Bundle of Joy, Grahic 45 Antique Typewriter Wooden Stamp, The Crafter's Workshop Stencil Mini Art Is and Mini Brocade, Spellbinders Nestabilities A2 Card Creator Tranquil Moments, Cuttlebug Machine V2


HPJ-2014-71: Happy Birthday

The last card in the set is for the boyfriend who loves boats. I had difficulty finding a digital stamp or digital image that I could use on what I was thinking to do for this card. After getting frustrated looking through various stuff online, I decided on just making a figure of a boat with paper. Here is what I came up with.

It is a clean and simple shaker card with a crisp white board paper for the base.

 The card measures 4.5" x 5.75".



You know pretty well that I hate my cards flat. I used a lot of foam tape, a length of baker's twine and a metal charm for added dimension.


I decorated the two panels inside the card. The top one has a tag shaped patterned paper for a message or a photo while the bottom one has a band to hold two extra sheets of patterned paper for more messages. That was that for this card. I just made it simple since it was a masculine card.




The card comes with a white baronial envelope lined with a nautical designed wrapping paper.


MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: Bevania Splendorgel White Board Paper, My Mind's Eye Six By Six Away We Go, My Mind's Eye Lost & Found Two Breeze, All About Scrapbooking It's All About Love, Echo Park 6x6 paper pad This & That, Graphic 45 Typography Collection 8x8 paper pad Typography and Dream, Carta Bella 6x6 paper pad Sew Lovely, Eno Greeting Wrapping Paper Book, baker's twine, self-adhesive crystals, metal charm, sequins, acetate, ColorBox Cat's Eye Queue Pigment Ink Pad Dune, Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black, Ladybug Clear Stamps, Martha Stewart Scoring Board, Martha Stewart Circle Cutter

I enjoyed making even the smallest details of these cards. I hope to create another one soon. Thanks for looking. Have a wonderful day!





No comments:

Post a Comment