Friday, August 29, 2014

CARD# HPJ-2014-44: Journey

I was asked to make a farewell card for a friend, something that would have a lot of space for messages. A few months back, I came upon a video tutorial by Graphic 45 Design Team member Arlene Cuevas on how to make a card with a box while I was looking for videos on mixed media art. Apparently, I did not check the whole  video until last month. It was rather a nice project and perfect for Christmas. I stored the idea away for the holiday season. When I received the request to make the farewell card, I immediately thought about the video. You can find the tutorial here. If you are interested to see the wonderful projects of Arlene, you can check out her blog Butterfly Kisses here.

The card with box creation of Arlene Cuevas.
The original length of the card was 81/2". It was rather too long in my perspective so I had it shortened to 7. I probably should have cut it an inch more, but I have already started working on it before the idea struck me.








 At first I thought of using blue and black, but as I measured and cut along the cardstock that was to be the base for the card with a box, I was drawn to the idea that I should leave the blue papers alone and use black, ivory, brown...something steampunky. Thank goodness I was able to get my hands on a set of Inkadinkado clear stamps a few months ago. I used the hot air balloon stamp to make the main embellishment. I will save the blue papers for another card.





I made a tag out of a square of patterned paper and then adhered it onto a piece of black board paper. I used a stencil and black ink pad to make the dots and placed the layered tag onto the card with foam tape.


I took two wooden wings from my newest loots and affixed them onto the tag behind both sides of the balloon. If only I had more paper tapes, those that would fit the theme, I would have added them on the upper rightmost part of the tag. Since I did not have them, I made use of my black self-adhesive crystals.


I added more embellishments--paper flowers, metal charm, jump rings, alpha tiles and label plate. I stamped the sentiment onto a scrap of paper and inked the edges.


The inside of the card looks like this. I did not add any decorations on the left panel so that the map of Spain (where the recipient will go) would not be covered.



I thought of punching a semicircle at the bottom of the box to enable the easy pulling out of the cards for the messages, but it wasn't possible. The circle punch that I have does not fit. I should have punched it out before I built the box up.



As an alternative, I tied a length of jute twine around the cards. Now they could easily be pulled out at one go!


This is what the cards inside the box look like. I stamped images on scraps of patterned paper, fussy cut them and adhered them onto the cards with foam tape. I inked the edges as well.

It was so much fun making this card. I hope to make another vintage-inspired card soon. Thank you for stopping by. Have a wonderful day!


MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: Rives Black Board Paper Tradition, Bevania Splendorgel Ivory Board Paper, Graphic 45 8x8 paper pad Typography Inscribe and Couture Accessorize, Tim Holtz Paper Stash 12x12 French Industrial Revolution, Eno Greeting Wood Embellishments and Label Plate, jump rings, Graphic 45 Staples Collection Flowers, brad, Papemelroti alpha tiles and cutout, book page, self-adhesive crystals, bead, metal charms, twill ribbon, jute twine, elastic band, ColorBox Cat's Eye Pigment Ink Pad Black, Beauty Premium Ink Pad Black, Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black, The Crafter's Workshop Stencil Mini Punchinella, Inkadinkado Clear Stamps Inspirational Lift, Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels Thirty-Five, Cuttlebug Machine V2


No comments:

Post a Comment