Sunday, November 16, 2014

CARD# HPJ-2014-65: Magical

I received another custom order, but I couldn't seem to work out a design or a layout in my mind when I first learned about it. The color palette is just white. I struggled a bit on this one.

What was needed was something special for a special someone with an image of a unicorn on it. I was given free reign with regards to the design. I may not have worked out a solid design yet at that time, but I already thought of making a special fold card. Tri-shutter, easel or napkin fold would not do. I looked through my collection of images, but I still couldn't decide on which to use.

The free tutorial from Splitcoaststampers for the weekly newsletter was a big help. It was for a pop up book card. I have seen some projects before using this folding technique and I have wanted to try it for myself. I guess I got too caught up with the other techniques that I only remembered it when I saw the e-mail.

What a great idea! I thought that it would really be something special if I used it. Awesome. Now that the base had been decided, I concentrated on the color palette and the layout next. I will definitely go for mixed media, but without the distressing of paper edges part. It would just be gesso, molding paste, stencils, crackle paint and ink pads. Here is what I came up with.

 The closed card measures 6" x 6". 






If you're interested to make one for yourself or if you would just like to know how the base was made, you can check Norma's step-by-step tutorial here or here. Instructions for an A2 card are also available on the page. There is a video tutorial as well.


The image I used for the front of the card is by Jen. She calls it the Free Winged Unicorn Template. You can find it on her Deviant Art Gallery jenzgu.


The other image (adhered on one of the inside panels) is from a downloadable coloring book.


This is what the leftmost panel looks like up close. I used a stencil and a couple of ink pads to create the delicious little stars and then I made a second batch of stars by applying molding paste onto the stencil.


I added several things more to the inside panels as they looked so bare before with only the stars scattered here and there. I affixed some stickers, crystals and metal charms  to make the whole inside part more interesting.


The card comes with a matching box. I no longer decorated the lid since the card itself is fully embellished. I hope the recipient likes it and that she would have a memorable birthday.

Thank you for stopping by. Have a wonderful day!


MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: Bevania Splendorgel White Board Paper, All About Scrapbooking 12x12 patterned paper, Dream Street Papers Unique Boutique Antique Chic, lace trimming, Eno Greeting Wood Embellishments, metal charms, crystals, paper flowers, silk flowers, baker's twine, beads, printed images and sentiment, Faber-Castell Watercolor Pencils, Ranger Distressed Crackle Paint Rock Candy, Ranger Stickles, Marie's Gesso, Elmer's White Glue, white glitters, Golden Molding Paste, ColorBox Cat's Eye Queue Pignment Ink Pads Shabby Pink, Celadon, Mint, Orchid, Lilac and Plumberry, Faber-Castell Multimark 1513 permanent Black, The Crafter's Workshop Stencil Mini Punchinella, Spellbinders Nestabilities Splendid Circles and Adorning Labels Twenty-Five, Spellbinders Shapeabilities Fancy Tags One, Cheery Lynn Designs Fanciful Flourish, Cuttlebug Machine V2

No comments:

Post a Comment